Sunday 11 December 2011

Jamaican Farming Experience

Just got back from fertilizing the watermelons. They were planted Thursday and Friday. Actually, there are three different melons in the field. I had a small number (30) of Green Honeydew Heirloom Melons and about 60 Icebox Heirloom Watermelons. The rest of the field is planted with the local variety hybrid seeds. Dug the holes last Tuesday and Wednesday after finishing the weeding.


This was the first large scale planting that we have done on the one half acre that we are farming here in Jamaica. From here on in these blogs we will call our half acre "Pepper Ridge". We are in St Elizabeth parish on the southwest coast. This area is known as the "Breadbasket of Jamaica". There are more farmers here than in any other parish in Jamaica.


We have been growing in Jamaica since last March, but have just gotten started on our own half acre.
We have planted crops at a friends farm and harvested them and are planting at the house where we presently live and are getting ready to harvest our first crops of White Stem Bok Choy and the local favorites Cho cho (Chayote) and Gunga Peas. We also have been eating our own pumpkins for a while.

At Pepper Ridge we are completely transforming the property that was up until a few months ago deep impenetrable "Bush". I have cleared it completely except for a Mango and Soursop tree. In the past month we have planted Gunga Peas, Jamaican Sorrel, Papaya, Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Rutgers Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Avacado Tree, Cocoa, Pumpkin, Sunflower, Habanero Peppers, Hungarian Yellow Hot Peppers, Chocolate Habanero, Red Slim Sweet Peppers, Bhut Jokia (Ghost) Peppers, King Palm, Coconut Palm and Buccaneer Palms.

This is my first attempt at blogging. I did not know how to start, so I just started writing about what I did this morning. So begins my blogging experience. I have a lot to say and to share. If you enjoy gardening and travel that is where I am beginning. I hope that you will share your thoughts with me.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say you're off to a hell of a start, Tom. Just keep writing from the heart, like you're talking to a friend.
    Henry

    ReplyDelete